Rambling ...

I'm an Irish Girl, A Dubliner, with the 'Gift of the Gab' ... I like to talk & to tell you things. In Celtic times news, views and comment were carried from place to place by wandering Seanachaí ~ Storytellers ~ who relied on their host's hospitality and appreciation. I will need that from you too, as I venture to share Politics, Poetry, Laughter, Love, Life & everything in-between ... from Bog to Blog!!


Monday, September 24, 2012

Yahrzeit Days ....




During the week just past ~ 18th and 22nd of September, (2nd & 6th of Tishrei) respectively,  fell both of my Parents' Yahrzeits. (OBM)  They passed on within the same week ~ although not in the same year.  I lit a yahrzeit candle for both in accordance with Jewish tradition ~ Minhag & Mitzvah.  May their Neshamot receive an Aliyah.  Both were appropriately remembered on the respective day.  It was Rosh Ha'Shanah for my Father's yahrzeit and Shabbos for my Mom's, and the Jewish Day of Davening for Mosiach yesterday, so posting wasn't possible as I have done in previous years per my duty of Zachor.  So I am posting this in remembrance today in lieu.  Their gravesite was visited, although I was not in a postion to personally do this.  I will however pledge to make a Siyum for next year & visit their graves personally for the yahrzeits.  And Yizkor shall be recited this coming Yom Kippur.

It is also Minhag to ask for and receive lekach (sweet honey cake ~ signifying a sweet year) from my Shul Gabbai erev Yom Kippur, so that if it has been decreed, G-d forbid, that during the year I should need to resort to a handout from others, the decree should be satisfied with this asking for food.  The Lubavitcher Rebbe adds a deeper insight to this "asking for lekach" on the eve of Yom Kippur  ~  it instills in us the recognition that all of the sustenance that we receive throughout the year, including that which we supposedly "earn" by our own powers and endeavors, is in truth a gift from Ha'Shem, who has inscribed my name in His book of Sustenance for the coming year  .... "He who nourishes the entire world with in His goodness, with grace, with benevolence and with compassion."   And in memory of my Father I shall pass around  a vodka toast & a L'Chaim ....  I shall bring both Honey Cake & Vodka for a tikkun in memory and honour of my parents following Shaccarit on erev Yom Kippur,  Be'Zerat Ha'Shem.


O G*d, guard me for I have taken refuge in You.
You should say to Ha'Shem "You are my Master; my good is not incumbent upon You.
For the holy ones who are in the earth, and the mighty ones in whom is all my delight.
May the sorrows of those who hasten after another deity increase;
I will not pour their libations of blood, nor will I take their names upon my lips.
Ha'Shem is my allotted portion and my cup;
You guide my destiny.
Portions have fallen to me in pleasant places; even the inheritance pleases me."



I will bless Ha'Shem, Who counseled me; even at night my conscience instructs me.
I have placed Ha'shem before me constantly; because He is at my right hand, I will not falter.
Therefore, my heart rejoiced, and my soul was glad; even my flesh shall dwell in safety.
For You shall not forsake my soul to the grave; You shall not allow Your pious one to see the pit.
You shall let me know the way of life, the fullness of joys in Your presence. 

There is pleasantness in Your right hand forever.



No comments:

Post a Comment