Rambling ...

I'm an Irish Girl, A Dubliner, with the 'Gift of the Gab' ... I like to talk & to tell you things. In Celtic times news, views and comment were carried from place to place by wandering Seanachaí ~ Storytellers ~ who relied on their host's hospitality and appreciation. I will need that from you too, as I venture to share Politics, Poetry, Laughter, Love, Life & everything in-between ... from Bog to Blog!!


Friday, October 29, 2010

How Wise is a Wise guy????


 Okay, so I know I replaced my Monday Movie Review with some Merriment last Monday!! And, I know I haven't posted a review since 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' ~ I apologise for my tardiness. I was going to post 'The Breakfast Club' last Monday, a marvellous movie from one of my favourite all time directors, John Hughes. But I didn't ....... I got sideswiped by events.

Halloween is here too, so I also have a review of 'The Crow', one of my most favourite ever movies, but as tomorrow is Devil's Day, I thought it more appropriate to post it then. So, for something a little bit different for Friday ..... (I've been experiencing some Dark Days lately, & a friend who knows my prediliction for movies & my adoration of John Hughes sent me this to make me think & smile. It did both!).

"Ladies and gentlemen, you are such a wonderful crowd, we'd like to play a little tune for you. It's one of my personal favorites and I'd like to dedicate it to a young man who doesn't think he's seen anything good today ~ Cameron Frye, this one's for you"

Who would you rather be? Ferris Bueller? Or Cameron? The cool guy with tons of friends? Or the awkward, hypochondriac dork with only one real friend? The guy who everything seems to come to effortlessly, easily, as if the entire universe seems to bend to his will? Or the dude with the mean father, the endless issues and whose life seems to be a constant test?

Most of us, understandably, are pretty into Ferris. The awesome dude who somehow manages to lip-sync the best rendition of “Shake it Up Baby” ever created. The guy even has a movie named after him. Yeah, being Ferris would be pretty sweet.

And Cameron? No, thank you. I would rather not be the dude that has to face a stern-as-all-heck father after crashing his Ferrari through the garage and into the back yard.   None of us would be. But I’ll be honest, I was watching 'Ferris Bueller’s Day Off' for the first time in like ten years on the plane to Israel the other day & I thought of you ..... but, I couldn’t help but feel that the movie wasn’t really about Ferris. Sure, Ferris is the guy who gets to sing on the float and have the super cool gorgeous girlfriend, (I live in hope that maybe somehow, someday,  you'll marry me?????).  But it is Cameron that we really care about. It is Cameron that goes on the true (inner) journey. Ferris gets a day off. Cameron’s day is as on as it gets!!!

There is hardly a moment in the movie when Ferris is challenged or tested. He coasts through life with nar a problem. And sure, it might seem cool to us, but what’s interesting is that he also hardly grows towards the end of the movie. He’s still the same carefree dude. From beginning to end!

Cameron, though .... he faces obstacle after obstacle. And with each obstacle, with each rock placed in front of his path, Cameron steps onto it and raises himself higher and higher. Until we reach the end of the movie, the moment when Cameron says “It’s gonna be good”, at that moment when we know Cameron has a reached a new plane of existence, a world where he can begin to love and stand up for himself.

To be sure, we don’t want tests. We don’t want a G-d that makes our life difficult. To be Ferris Bueller would be nice. But this is the truth. Most of us, if we didn’t get these tests from up above, if we weren’t put in Cameron’s shoes sometimes in our lives, we would end up shallow. A pool that has never been dug to see how deep it can go. We need tests because they help us realize who we really are.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. 

Cameron, at the beginning of the movie, he seemed like a weakling. A nerd. But the truth, as we discover as the movie goes on, is that Cameron is the strongest character in the movie. Not because he can charm an entire city. Not because he can get away with whatever he wants. But because of the experiences he went through. Nerd is Cool. And so are you Nerd girl .... so, who would you rather be, tell me .... Ferris? Or Cameron?

Who would you rather be?? I know who is the wise guy. I know what is the wise choice. I know what is the easy choice ... but I also know what you are made of. Stop Suffering! You are as empathethic as you are beautiful. And Awesome. Pana Nichuirc .... you are made of Hero! 

My answer remains the same as it did last Monday ..... Any guiding hand has only guided me into pain & confusion, Chassid .... Sorry!! It's FERRIS BUELLER. All the Way!! Always!!!

What about you???? What do you think?? Who else loves this Movie????

No comments:

Post a Comment